Railroad related web content provided as an educational volunteer effort of the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation (APRHF), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
To help preserve passenger rail heritage click here to join today! Support APRHF by shopping at Amazon Smile! Hosting made possible by our sponsors.

Custom Search
HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS LINKS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY
TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today! Previously Featured Slideshows Highlighted Past The Big Stories Directory
Return HOME Return to MOPAC POWER MENU MoPac Diesel Power - First Generation
ALCo RS 2, RS 3, RS 11 (GP12 &16), & Baldwin AS16
Return HOME
   HOME    Power     Cabooses     Rolling Stock     MoW     Depots
Steam
Switchers / Slugs
Streamliners
1st Gen Diesel
2nd Gen Diesel
Prime Power
Merger Era
Post Merger Era
1800s-1930s 1930s-80s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s Today
All All All

GP7
GP9 & 9m
GP18
RSs

GP35 & 28
GP38
GP38-2
U Boats
SD40
SD40-2
SD40-2c
B Boats
GPs

All

All


ALCo RS 2, RS 3, RS 11 (GP12 & 16), and Baldwin AS16MoPac Diesel Power - First Generation

Jerry Carson Photo/T. Greuter Collection ·

The Missouri Pacific fielded a colorful array of locomotives and paint schemes in it's 100-year history. This section covers the ALCo-built RS2, RS3 (later "GP12" or RS 3m), the RS 11 (later "GP16" or RS11m), and the Baldwin AS16.

 

Diesel Domination - the 1950's-'60's

Click on the thumbnails to see a larger image

  the RS 2

MODEL BUILDER FIRST DELIVERY FINAL DELIVERY TOTAL
RS-2 ALCo 4/48 (rebuilt to GP12 - '65) 11/49 4 units

DATE - Missouri Pacific purchases the RS2. At this same time the MoPac was building it's fleet of EMD-built GP7's in 1950, it also experimented with the Baldwin AS-16 and Alco-built RS-2, RS-3 and RS-11. Like the GP7 and GP9, these were delivered in the gray and blue "Route of the Eagles" scheme, later to be repainted in "Jenk's Blue."

The RS 2 (RS for "road switcher") was first seen on the system as early as April 1948 through one of MoPac's subsidiary companies. The RS2 may essentially have been another switcher purchase for the company subsidiary, (predating the first purchase of the GP7 by two years) but this versatile switch engine could also be used for duties "on the road." ALCo originally coined the much-used term "road switcher"


A&S 1057 -
Alton & Southern RS-2 at dated 10/1971. The A&S switching company was jointly owned by the Missouri Pacific and Chicago Northwestern and drew it's paint scheme from both roads - Photographer unknown/T. Greuter Collection


  the RS 3

MODEL BUILDER FIRST DELIVERY FINAL DELIVERY TOTAL
RS-3 ALCo 1/51 (rebuilt to GP12 - '65) 4/56 30 units

In January 1951 Missouri Pacific purchased the Alco-built RS 3 road switchers, a follow-on to the RS 2. Delivered in Eagle colors, the relatively small number would last long, well into the 1970's, thanks to a rebuild program (see GP12 below) with EMD motors.


M&I #74, an Alco RS-3 unit and the idler car/caboose sitting at the engine house at Ste Genevieve, MO. Built in March 1955, Engine #74 was later renumbered as MI 973, then MI 1092 before finally being retired in February 1974. - David Beckermann Collection




MP 974
- an RS-3 - a first-generation diesel ALCO-built locomotive and rated at 1,600 hp first joined the system in January 1951. #974 was built in 1955. A rare color photo of the model in Eagle colors. North Little Rock, Arkansas, 12/31/60? - Photographer unknown/T. Greuter collection ·


MP 992
- a pair of RS-3's are setting on the crest of the East Hump at Neff Yard, Kansas City, Missouri in March 1966. From the looks of the picture they must have been in hump service at the time. A current shot of the same location would look much the same with the exception of yellow SD38-2's (ex-MoPac SD40-2's) working the hump (thanks to former MP switchman Kevin Love for the info). - Lee Berglund photo/T. Greuter collection ·

 

MP 4523 - at Springfield, Missouri on May 15, 1955. - Arthur B. Johnson Photo, T. Greuter Collection

 

MP 4525 - at Springfield, Missouri on July 10, 1955. - Arthur B. Johnson Photo, T. Greuter Collection

 


  the ALCo to EMD Rebuild Program

Putting EMD engines in the two ALCo groups was a major program - in fact there were no big rebuilding programs on the Missouri Pacific like this project.

There wasn't anything approaching the scope of the GP12/GP16 conversions from ALCo to EMD prime movers.  There was nothing as drastic, although an old Winton engine SW got a new EMD prime mover and a much taller hood. (J. Ogden)

There was talk of a major rebuilding program for the GP18s, but this never materialized, and may have been rumor.  There were minor programs, like removing the turbochargers from the GP35s, changing fuel rack arrangements on the early GPs for better horsepower and fuel usage, four instead of two exhaust stacks on the early GPs, and the program that chopped the noses of all the high nosed GPs.  (J. Michels)




  the GP12 (RS-3m)

Between 1964-1967, MoPac creates the GP12. Missouri Pacific's North Little Rock shops re-engined most all of the Alco-built RS-2 and RS-3 road switchers with EMD 12-567 engines, rated at 1200 hp. MP created a new class for them, calling them GP12's.

There was quite a bit of change made externally, mostly to the tops of the units. Major differences include: The built up boxy structure added to end of the long hood; offset cooling fan; Built up "camel hump" 3-stack exhaust manifold, usually capped off by spark arresters; and removal of the old protruding number boards.

 


Missouri-Illinois (MP) 1065
- this GP 12 is caught pausing between chores. Taken in the St Louis-Dupo area. - Jerry Carson Photo/T. Greuter Collection ·

MP RS-3m or "GP12" #1067 - was built in June 1952 as Missouri-Illinois RS-3 #64. It was later renumbered to M-I #962. It was rebuilt using a General Motors 12-cylinder 567 1200 HP engine, and emerged as M-I RS-3m #1067. It was later renumbered to MP 1067. The unit was retired and traded in to General Electric in March 1974. - Photographer and Location unknown/Jay Glenewinkel Collection


MP 1068
- an RS3 modified into a "GP 12" by the MoPac. Location and date unknown, but most of photographer Jerry Carson's work is in the St Louis - Dupo area - Jerry Carson Photo/T. Greuter Collection ·


MP 1078
- two GP 12 units labor with a mixed freight. Taken in the St Louis-Dupo area. - Jerry Carson Photo/T. Greuter Collection ·

MP 1084 - GP 12 at Little Rock, Arkansas on 1/5/75 - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.


MP 1084 - what was once an ALCO-built RS 3 is now an EMD-powered GP 12, seen at Little Rock 1/5/75.The most visible spotting features of GP 12's from RS 2's & 3's are the protruding boxy corners on the rear of the long hood and the spark arrestor-equipped exuast vents - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.


MP 1084 - same perspective as the top shot of the GP 12, only this time shot by George Elwood. The unit is looking a bit battered in it's Jenks blue. Little Rock, Arkansas. - © George Elwood photo, used with permission.


MP 1086 - a herd of GP 12's, including #1087 and a caboose, also seen at Little Rock 1/5/75. - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.


MP 1090 - a GP 12, joined by an SW switch engine #1258 and a somewhat rare Magor-style caboose (wish we had some shots of this one too!) still in old boxcar red paint at Little Rock 1/5/75. - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.


MP 1096 - another GP 12 seen at Little Rock 1/5/75. - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.

These units were sold the the Transkentucky Transportation Railroad -- there is an article on building the units in the April 2000 Mainline Modeler on page 34. (thanks to MOPAC@yahoogroups.com)

I called TTR several years ago when there was some talk of trying to get a loco to restore... they had just cut up the last one. ĘThey said they couldn't get anyone to take them. (Elvin Klepzig)



  the AS-16

MODEL BUILDER FIRST DELIVERY FINAL DELIVERY TOTAL
AS-16 Baldwin 11/51 7/54 8 units

In November of 1951 the first Baldwin-built AS 16, at 1600 hp began arriving on the line, with additional units coming in June and July 1954. (#4195, 4996, 4326-4331)




January 1955 - MoPac's first order for the GP9.



 
  the RS 11

MODEL BUILDER FIRST DELIVERY FINAL DELIVERY TOTAL
RS11 ALCo 10/59 (rebuilt to GP16 - '65) 11/59 12 units

In October 1959 MoPac bought 12 RS 11's. These units re-used the robust Westinghouse electrical systems and trucks of a similar number of Baldwin "Baby Face" cab units.

Built as a direct competitor of the very successful GP7, the ALCO-built 1800 hp RS 11's produced in October-November of 1959 (#4601-4612) would be the last order by MoPac from this builder.

See GP 16 below for photos and more about MoPac's rebuilt RS 11's.



  the GP16 (RS-11m)

In 1964-65, all 12 of the road's RS11's were repowered with GM 567-V16's and termed GP16's. All these units were retired by 1976, after surviving no less than three renumberings. GP-16's were a MP created class, being rebuilt Alco RS 11's with new EMD motors.

MP 77 - a MoPac created GP16, wearing the shell of an RS-11, the prime mover inside is all EMD. Like the GP 12's, the most visible spotting features of GP 16's from RS 11's are the protruding boxy corners on the rear of the long hood, as well as some missing vents. Little Rock, Arkansas 1/5/75 - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.

MP 77 - the GP16 from another angle. Images of these units only seen on the MoPac are very rare. The photographer had the foresight to record the unique engine during trip to the Little Rock yard. Little Rock, Arkansas 1/5/75 - © Brian Paul Ehni photo, used with permission.


MP 78
- the blue paint on this GP16 has oxided to almost a black color. Taken in the St Louis-Dupo area. - Jerry Carson Photo/T. Greuter Collection ·

MP GP16 #955 - was built in November 1955 as MP RS-11 4612. it was later renumbered to MP #499. Between 1964-1965 it was rebuilt with a 1650 HP EMD engine and reclassified as a RS-11m or GP16. It was then renumbered to MP 955, and its final number was MP 79. The unit was retired in March 1974. - Photographer and Location unknown/Jay Glenewinkel Collection

April 1960 - MoPac's first order for the GP18.


Reclaiming the Past

Restoration on an original MoPac owned RS-3 began in 1999. It was one of only two MP never re-engined. The original blue and gray scheme began to reappear under the old paint for the first time in 50-years as work progressed with stripping and cleaning. More can be see on the project at the St. Louis National Railroad Historical Society's MOPAC RS3 Restoration Project page (2008 note - this info seems to have been removed).





Featured Photographers:
Brian Paul Ehni, Glen Beans, George Elwood, David Beckermann Collection, Jerry Carson, Robert Pollard-Jay Glenewinkel Collection, and Lee Berglund

Sources:
Missouri Pacific Diesel Power by Kevin EuDaly

Every effort has been made to get the correct information on these pages, but mistakes do happen. Reporting of any inaccuracies would be appreciated.

Return HOME
          trainweb.us/screamingeagle l Last Update to this page: 28 April, 2008
          All images & text © 2000-2003 T. Greuter / Screaming Eagles, unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.

View TrainWeb.US Stats

Click below for pages in the directory of TrainWeb sites:
0-9 A B C D E
F G H I J K
L M N O P Q
R S T U V W
X Y Z
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL CATEGORY DIRECTORY

Visit our Rail Magazine promotion trading partners:      (Click here to add your print rail magazine.)


Custom Search
TrainWeb Reports & Web Sites: Featured Today! Previously Featured Slideshows Highlighted Past The Big Stories Directory
HOME APRHF TRAINWEB.COM .NET .ORG .US FORUM FACEBOOK NEWS LINKS TRAVEL RAILFAN MODEL JOBS PARTY
Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Silver Rails Country for Train Enthusiasts
View Stats  | Page updated:02/08/2016  | Version 2016b08c  | Links  | ©2015-2017 NordiLusta, LLC